Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Doppelgänger

Last night, I had a dream that I saw your face.  It looked the same as three months ago when you greeted me with big smiles and we were the best of friends.  Your face looked without any drama or hatred like I saw filling your soul the last time we talked.  In this dream, we embraced in a hug while talking and reminiscing.  We explained to one another how much we had missed the other since the outward war had begun which seemed so ridiculous now.  We began to cry as we thought about everything we had missed and how much we depended on one another for happiness.  Nothing could stop our friendship because the only one who could hurt us was us.  Everything was exactly how I remembered.  Everything was the same as it was three long months ago.  Everything was perfect.  Then I woke up.
A doppelgänger is a ghostly double of a living person that haunts its living counterpart.  It is German for a "double walker".  I met my doppelgänger this past summer, but ignored the idea of her coming into my life.  Then, as if it was meant for us to meet again, she showed up in my life a second time.  We immediately connected and I have never felt so close to someone in my life.  Over such a short time of a few weeks, I trusted her with so much and depended on her as a best friend would as she did the same to me.  The idea of doppelgängers, though, is that once they meet, after sometime, one of the two must leave through death or disappearance and never come back.  Well, eventually some truths came out between us and our friendship disappeared.  Now, she has moved away far away from where I can even hear the stories of where her heart beat is taking her.  My doppelgänger has left and now only memories, dreams, and pictures remain.
The last time I saw you, it was as if you were only the stranger beside me.  I hope for your best and your happiness.  Every eleven eleven, I still make the wish I promised to you I would always make.  The wish you said you had never told anyone.  The wish you said that would make everything worth it.  Eventually, I know that wish will come true and all my nights of wishing for it for you will be worth it.  I hate to see someone like you with so much potential throw it all down the drain so please never give up.  You truly are amazing and if you ever need someone please know that my phone number remains the same and will always be willing to answer a phone call from you.  I can only hope someday you see this, if not... I still love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment